Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Thermal Curtains

The windows in my messy room, it gets really cold in here in the winter and the main motivating factor to making the curtains was so that when the new baby is in our room he wont freeze and we wont have to pay so much to heat the house overnight.

I measured out the fabric to be slightly bigger than the opening for the window.

first finished curtain

not the prettiest sewing job but it'll work



both finished curtains, someday i will get a cute ribbon to tie around each but for now a black piece of yarn is doing the trick.




The other day I decided it wouldn't be very difficult to make thermal curtains. I've wanted to buy some for a couple of years now, i even went to shopko last year to purchase some but couldn't bring myself to pay $24 for one panel. so i looked up online what all should be done to make your own thermal curtains and some sites said to use a pre put together thermal fabric that you could get for about $12 a yard other sites pretty much said you can use old sleeping bags for the thermal fabric, or heavy cotton, felt, denim, pretty much some heavy fabric that would help keep some of the heat in and the cold out. I went to Walmart last night to see what kind of fabric they had that could work and the prices per yard blah blah blah. While i was there i checked out how much thermal curtains would be just to purchase them and for one panel the cheapest was about $13 so that really wasn't too bad, i read what material they used to make the curtain and it said 100% polyester. In the fabric section i decided on fusible fleece which is also 100% polyester, and the cheapest black fabric i could find. the fusible fleece was 2.77 a yard and the fabric i bought for the outside of the curtain was 2.47 a yard (i think) So all in all it ended up being more expensive then i thought it would but i have extra fabric. All in all i spent $29 which i think is still steep but this includes the tension rods i used to hang them up, black string, and 3 yards of each fabric and tax. I have some sticky back Velcro that i put on the sides of the windows and curtains to make a tighter seal at night. So I'm hoping tonight we'll be able to tell a difference besides our room being darker, (which is almost worth it all by itself).

2 comments:

KiMbErLy~eRiN said...

i can't post a comment on your other blog :( but I feel the same about the flu shot I haven't ever gotten one and have always been fine they just seem weird to me specially when you hear people who have gotten them get the flu anyways... their are so many strands of flu who knows that you got the right shot for that strand right? My mom is freaking out because she has heard about all these young people dying and i told her i dont want me or erin to get the shots and since i work so closely with the public (even though i work with broken people not sicko's) she still wants me to get it. I figure someone else can have my shot that wants it. It bugs too because the ladies in my office have gotten it but wont get it for their kids and now all their kids are sick hmmm? doesn't sound right to me oh well i guess. By the way cute blinds! I love doing crafts and saving money specially in this time of need!

Unknown said...

check out this site http://curtainsblindsanddrapes.com/thermal-curtains-amazon/