Sunday, October 25, 2009

I read a book

... and its overdue so i should return it :) I really have enjoyed some of the self help books by Dr. Laura, she seems to have a very level head and I enjoy the way she is able to tell it how it is. The book i just finished was Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, it was good but also a slap in the face wake up call as to how I treat my husband, so not a completely comfortable read but it definitely had some value. Last night is when i finished it, i wrote in my journal different points that I'd hope to work on, some of them are from this book others are from previous books or good advice I have heard, I don't know that any of you will find this of any value but I'll list what I've chosen to be a goal for myself in order to have a more harmonious family.



  • Appreciate spouses hard work outside of the home in both work and schooling, express gratitude.

  • Arrange planned meals to be when my husband is home (since he has an odd schedule the big meal will be lunch)

  • Do chores and prepare meals while he is away and use the time he is home as down time/ family time

  • Allow spouse an hour each day to unwind

  • Find time each day to both get outside and exercise

  • Ask my husband for help nicely and provide options for things that need to be taken care of so there is less "telling" and more freedom of choice.

  • Anticipate hard days and allow breaks to keep from overreacting and being stressed.

  • If the day is too daunting focus on one room and allow more time for playing with kids.

  • Appreciate all the blessings i have and give thanks

  • If feeling "unloved" or "under-appreciated" focus on giving to or thanking my spouse or someone else.

  • Give more hugs

  • Speak softer, more ladylike and be aware that anger is a choice.

  • Know that every day, week, month or year cant be perfect and that hard times happen but can't stay around forever.

  • Treat spouse how I would like to be treated.

Wish me luck on being better :)

2 comments:

Liv said...

I'm glad you shared some of these. I remember you mentioned you were reading this book. Looks like I'll have to check it out since you're overdue to return it :)

Carly said...

i LOVE this book. i haven't read it for a couple years, so i was glad to read your notes to remind me of how great it is.