Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dreaming of Christmas Toys

I do love Christmas, and I do think that it belongs in December but every December we don't seem to have much money for gifts and such. So this year I'm trying to be ahead of the game and get most of the kids gifts in order before our poorest month of the year arrives. I took the kids to Smith & Edwards yesterday to check out the toys there and see if any would truly entertain them. What I like about Smith & Edwards is that the toy section is really so different from other stores like Walmart, theres very little Dora, no barbie, no super hero action figures, they have lots of farm related toys, lots of Melissa & Doug toys (I love them). I'd like to cut back on the toy clutter and the thought of adding more toys to end up all over the house isn't a pleasant one, especially since I just put all of the kids stuffed animals into a large garbage bag to go downstairs till we someday move and have room for them (you can't imagine how much that helped with the clutter). Makayla liked a baby doll that cries until you give her a bottle and also liked the umbrella stroller for a little doll. Konnor liked everything, he is my tractor boy! Its his birthday in 12 days and I picked up some little metal airplanes, a hotwheel size tractor pulling a trailer and some plastic cows. He'll also be getting a hot wheel garage that I picked up for him a couple weeks ago.
I'd like keep the toys simple and to a minimum otherwise the kids seem to just toss them aside and it feels like such a waste. Have you seen any great toys for your kids/ nieces and nephews?

2 comments:

Liv said...

Aspen just loves blocks right now. And toy cars. Both things you already have at your house!

Do you rotate the toys out every now and then? I kind of do that with Aspen; I keep some in her room and some in the living room and we just switch off where we play.

z&jarnold said...

I don't rotate too much, I mostly just put the baby toys down stairs when i don't have little babies to play with them. All of their toys are on display and as long as the t.v. is off they will choose something to play with or make a mess with (depending on their mood)