Friday, July 11, 2014

My Permacuture Garden

Several months ago I shared my start of a permaculture garden, one that incorporates key hole gardening and hugelkultur. Thought I would share how things are looking and what my current projects are.
 this is the first Hugelkultur bed that I made, and below is this years growth on it.
 I have corn, pumpkins and peas planted in that garden bed, everything gets watered from irrigation once or twice a week so the concept is to store that water in the buried logs and organic matter that the bed is made of. Honestly the peas probably didn't get enough water (they were planted on the very top of the bed), but both the corn and pumpkins are doing so well this year.
 This small hugelkultur row has taken off considering that one of the logs that were buried is visible on the surface, I labeled the plants so you can see the variety that I was able to plant together.
 heres a view of the whole garden, the white flowers in the back are some weed that I've allowed to stay, if anything it invites bees to my garden.
 another view of the garden, the small tree next to it is a sour cherry.
 I moved one of my grape vines to the north fence of the garden, this way when its bigger it wont cast shade on the garden but it will use empty space that would have otherwise not really been in use.
 we have a funky garden bed that runs along the side of our driveway, in the spring it has tulips, in the summer it is home to my raspberry patch, grape vines, strawberries, spinach and one tomato plant that needed a home. My grapes are doing great this year and will produce fruit for the first time this year. I marked that I had planted green seedless grapes in this area, although time will tell if I remembered right and that is truly what they end up being.
My newest project for the season is trying my hand at growing giant pumpkins. I chose Dills Atlantic Giant, I picked up the seeds from Smith and Edwards for $4.98 for 10 seeds. I planted 6, two per hill, and as you can see I have two left. Bugs ate 4 of the plants during the night and I've worked hard to keep the last two alive!

No comments: