Sunday, December 1, 2013

Christmas Dinner

This year we will be staying home for Christmas dinner, which really makes me excited because I love cooking big meals. Jared's work gave us a turkey this year for thanksgiving but we went to my aunts for thanksgiving dinner so its still hanging out in our freezer. So naturally the perfect time to use it will be for a beautiful Christmas dinner. I've cooked one turkey in the past and it turned out lovely so I've been itching to do another but turkey just isn't something I go pick up from the grocery store for obvious expense reasons and really my kids don't really care to eat much meat as it is. I'm pretty sure that besides the turkey I will bake up some homemade Lion House rolls. We received two different Lion House cook books for our wedding and on special occasions I have made their rolls. Their recipe for rolls is slightly different than my regular go to dough recipe in that it calls for warmed milk in place of water and butter in place of oil, so it makes some really great melt in your mouth rolls. I'll also make some stuffing, but I usually just use the Stove Top box or a Pepperidge farm bag of stuffing because stuffing really isn't my favorite and it looks like too much work to make from scratch. My other sides will be mashed potatoes and turkey gravy, some peas and raw carrots.
 I love setting the table all fancy for special days and a long time ago, before I was married, my mom bought me some Christmas china that has Christmas trees on each of the plates and also the mugs. I originally thought it was kind of juvenile but I'm excited to use it with my little family because the kids will love it, and honestly I've gotten to a point as an adult that I would rather the kids be excited to see a familiar plate each year than have the fanciest grown up china.
The dessert is probably up for grabs I may make a chocolate cream pie because it is Jared's favorite I love making pies because they are so pretty and really they aren't too difficult to put together, making the crust is probably the biggest pain in the whole process but other than that pie can be quite simple. I may make some Jell-O as a side/ dessert also only because the kids really like it.
All in all it is just fun to have my own family to share a yummy meal with and create some fond family memories.

No comments: