Wednesday, February 27, 2013

windowsill garden

Cosmos seed starts

I've started my springtime planting again, the awesome part is this house has 3 large south facing windows to start seeds in where as my old house had two tiny south facing windows. Since we've had a bunch of sunshine (thank heavens) my little seed starts are happily growing. I'm starting onions indoors for the first time and they are doing super. I've got some flowers growing too, Marigolds and Cosmos. These are all left over seeds from years past, so I wasn't sure if they would be viable but so far they all seem to be sprouting. I've had bad luck getting herbs to grow in the past but my basil is actually coming up just fine. I've had a seed starter green house thing for several years now, but its a bugger to get the seeds out of their containers, maybe I just take them too early. They'll be getting plenty of time indoors because I don't think this snow is going anywhere :(
onion seed starts in a recycled fudge striped cookie container, basil and beefsteak tomatoes in egg shells

 unfortunately our yard looks like this... isn't Konnor a cute big helper!
In case your curious I kept track of when my seeds emerged and what the package said they would do
  • -Beefsteak tomatoes pkg said 7-14 days- 8 days
  • -Marigold pkg said 5-10 days- 9 days
  • -Onion pkg didn't say- 7 days
  • -sweet basil pkg said 10-15 days- 6 days
  • -Parsley pkg said 14 days - 10 days
  • -Large red cherry tomato pkg said 15-20 days - 10 days
  • -Cosmos pkg said 7-10 days- 5 days

No comments: